Recipe by Katzen
With raisins, cinnamon, and brown sugar, this recipe is a healthy spin on an old favourite. From Quinoa 365.
Top Review by loof
I really loved this breakfast treat! The almonds I thought I had were actually pecans so I used those, and used regular (not quick cooking) oatmeal. The raisins and spices were a perfect match to the nutty quinoa. I served with a little low-fat milk and enjoyed every bite - thanks for sharing the recipe!
- 1 tablespoon almonds, silvered
- 3 tablespoons quinoa
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar or 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup vanilla yogurt or 1⁄4 cup milk or 1⁄4 cup soymilk or 1⁄4 cup half-and-half cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse quinoa well with water to remove bitter coating; drain.
- Place almonds in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir frequently until almonds are toasted and fragrant, about 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
- Combine quinoa, water, raisins, cinnamon, and nutmeg in the same saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the oats, replace cover, and cook for an additional 6 minutes. Add the almonds and sugar. Top with vanilla yogurt, milk, soymilk, or half and half cream, if using. Serve immediately.