Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
this is simply...wonderful!
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 2 1⁄4 cups thick applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped, toasted
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 -3 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup raisins, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- sift flour with soda, salt and spices -- set aside.
- cream butter, add granulated sugar gradually and beat till fluffy -- add eggs, one at a time, add molasses and beat well.
- stir in applesauce and nuts.gradually blend to sifted dry ingredients --
- pour batter into 3 waxed paper lined and greased 8" round cake pans --
- bake at 350* for 20-25 minutes --
- cool layers -- about 10 minutes and remove from pans -- remove waxed paper and spread with penuche frosting.
- to prepare PENUCHE FROSTING:.
- combine butter, brown sugar and cream in a heavy saucepan, bring to a boil over medium heat.
- remove from heat and gradually stir in powdered sugar till mixture is velvety and very smooth --
- stir in vanilla, nuts and raisins.