Recipe from Ina Garten, The Barefoot Contessa! What makes this recipe is the addition of cream.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups flour, plus
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 lb cold unsalted butter, diced
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- 3/4 cup raisins
for egg wash
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Combine 4 cups flour, 2 tablespoons sugar the baking powder, and salt in an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- 3Blend in the cold butter at the lowest speed and mix until the butter is in pea-sized pieces.
- 4Combine the eggs and heavy cream and quickly add to the flour/butter mixture.
- 5Combine until just blended.
- 6Combine the raisins and 1 tablespoon flour and then add to the dough and mix quickly.
- 7The dough may be a bit sticky.
- 8Dump the dough out onto a floured surface and be sure it is well combined.
- 9Flour your hands and a rolling pin and roll the dough out to 3/4-inch to 1-inch thick.
- 10You will see lumps of butter in the dough.
- 11Cut into squares with a 4-inch cutter and then cut in half diagonally to make triangles.
- 12Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- 13Brush the scones with the egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- 14Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the outsides are crisp and the insides are done.
- 15~~~FREEZING INSTRUCTIONS~~~~.
- 16To freeze: Allow scones to cool. Freeze in a rigid container or in freezer bags. Seal, label and freeze.
- 17To serve: For crispier scones, thaw/reheat in a 325 degree oven for about 5 minutes. For softer scones, thaw/reheat in the microwave for about 1 minute on 30% power.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Raisin Scones
Serving Size: 1 (96 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 424.7
- Calories from Fat 254
- Total Fat 28.3 g
- Saturated Fat 17.0 g
- Cholesterol 153.8 mg
- Sodium 442.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 6.9 g