Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Recipe from Ina Garten, The Barefoot Contessa! What makes this recipe is the addition of cream.
Make and share this Raisin Scones recipe from Food.com.
- 4 cups flour, plus
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3⁄4 lb cold unsalted butter, diced
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
for egg wash
- 1 extra large egg, beaten with
- 2 tablespoons milk or 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine 4 cups flour, 2 tablespoons sugar the baking powder, and salt in an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Blend in the cold butter at the lowest speed and mix until the butter is in pea-sized pieces.
- Combine the eggs and heavy cream and quickly add to the flour/butter mixture.
- Combine until just blended.
- Combine the raisins and 1 tablespoon flour and then add to the dough and mix quickly.
- The dough may be a bit sticky.
- Dump the dough out onto a floured surface and be sure it is well combined.
- Flour your hands and a rolling pin and roll the dough out to 3/4-inch to 1-inch thick.
- You will see lumps of butter in the dough.
- Cut into squares with a 4-inch cutter and then cut in half diagonally to make triangles.
- Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush the scones with the egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the outsides are crisp and the insides are done.
- ~~~FREEZING INSTRUCTIONS~~~~.
- To freeze: Allow scones to cool. Freeze in a rigid container or in freezer bags. Seal, label and freeze.
- To serve: For crispier scones, thaw/reheat in a 325 degree oven for about 5 minutes. For softer scones, thaw/reheat in the microwave for about 1 minute on 30% power.