1/1 Photo of Raisin Scones
Chef #1078083's Note:
A rich tender scone. Perfect for tea-time (or coffee:) Glorious served with butter, clotted cream or preserves. Great hot out of the oven or cooled. Extra care must be taken to ensure that the dough is not overmixed; this will result in a tough scone.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 teaspoons baking powder (8 teaspoons is correct)
- 1 dash salt
- 1/2 cup fine sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, chilled
- 1/2 cup shortening, chilled
- 1 cup dark seedless raisins (presoaked in boiling water and drained)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup evaporated milk (not skim)
- fine sugar, for sprinkling
- 1In a large bowl stir together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- 2With a fork or finger tips cut in chilled butter and shortening, until mixture resembles cornmeal with a few larger clumps.
- 3Stir in drained raisins.
- 4Combine eggs with evaporated milk.
- 5Add all but about 4 tablespoons of liquid to the flour mixture.
- 6With a fork or hands lightly moisten the dry ingredients with the wet. Stop once mixture is combined and there are no traces of flour. Dough SHOULD NOT be smooth.
- 7Cover and set aside for 5 minutes.
- 8Meanwhile preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 9Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly greased aluminum foil.
- 10Divide dough in half; flatten into 2 rounds about 1/2 inch thick on baking sheet. Score into wedges but do not separate. (Alternately shape into about 12 to 14 individual mounds and arrange on baking sheet. Leave a couple inches in between each scone.).
- 11Brush scones with reserved milk/egg mixture and sprinkle generously with fine sugar.
- 12Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes.
- 13Lower temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 14Bake for another 12 to 15 minutes, until very lightly golden brown on bottom and edges.
- 15Enjoy piping hot with butter or at room temperature.
- 16Best if eaten with 1 or 2 days.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Raisin Scones
Serving Size: 1 (109 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 395.7
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 61.6 mg
- Sodium 345.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 15.6 g
- Protein 6.9 g