Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Another great scone recipe from my friend Janette
Make and share this Raisin Scones recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Cut in the chilled butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. (I prefer to grate in frozen butter).
- Add the raisins, beaten egg, and enough buttermilk to make a soft dough.
- Knead very lightly on a floured board to just combine the ingredients, handling gently to retain air needed for scones to rise.
- Roll out to a ½ inch thickness.
- Cut the dough into 8 thick wedges with a sharp knife.
- Place the scones on 2 greased baking sheets, leaving a ½ inch space around each one.
- To glaze, combine the egg yolk and water in a bowl and brush onto each scone (be careful not to drip any of the glaze onto the pan or the scones will stick).
- Bake for 12 - 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
Excellent scones. I like my scone a bit sweeter so I added 1/4 cup of sugar. The rest of the recipe remains the same. These are light, fluffy, soft, tender. So good! Thanks for sharing the recipe Donna.
Lovely high rising tasty scones. Very easy to make. A nice warm scone is so lovely with a cup of coffee for breakfast Thanks for posting the recipe Donna Mathews