Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A perfect sauce for ham or tongue from the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup broth or 1 cup stock, from ham, tongue or 1 cup use water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon butter (no substitutions)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 5 cloves
- Mix sugar and cornstarch; add broth gradually, stirring constantly.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook, stirring occasionally, until raisins are plump and mixture is thick.
- Serve hot.