Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
A light, refreshing salad from the California Raisin website; definintely a make-ahead recipe as it gets better on day 2 and 3. I think it would be grand made with wheatberries and served as a main course! NOTE: I made this using low fat mayo and fat free buttermilk and my dressing was too thin, so I had to add an extra tbsp of mayo to thicken it up. And next time, I will add some apple cut into small matchsticks.
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds (optional)
- Measure mayonnaise into a medium bowl. Slowly add buttermilk, whisking until smooth. Whisk in vinegar and honey.
- Stir in rice, carrots, onion, raisins and sunflower seeds if using; mix well.
- Chill thoroughly, preferably at least 24 hours if possible.
I used regular mayo along with a reduced fat buttermilk, that that worked fine for me! Also took your suggestion & included some thin apple sticks from a fresh Fuji apple! You have a great tasting salad here, & a definite keeper recipe ~ Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed for the VIP in the Vegetarian/Vegan Recipe Swap 24]