1/1 Photo of Raisin Pumpernickel Bread
8 hrs 45 mins
This bread is also called "Black Russian" and is delicious! Try it with a ripe piece of Brie, as a sandwich, even fabulous French toast! It's origins came out of New York. Smells heavenly baking in the oven!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water (105* to 115*)
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups medium rye flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups bread flour or 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup raisins
- 3 -4 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 egg white
- 1Stir together the lukewarm water and molasses in a large mixing bowl.
- 2Sprinkle in the yeast and stir to dissolve.
- 3Let stand for 10 minutes, or until slightly foamy.
- 4Stir in instant coffee, salt and rye flour.
- 5Sprinkle in the cocoa and stir well to combine.
- 6Add whole-wheat flour and 1 cup of the bread flour, or enough to make a sticky dough.
- 7Turn the bread out onto a lightly floured work surface and let it rest.
- 8Wash and dry the bowl.
- 9Sprinkle additional flour over the dough and begin to knead.
- 10Continue until most or all of the remaining bread flour is incorporated and you have a smooth elastic ball.
- 11(Breads with rye flour will always be slightly sticky.) Pour the vegetable oil into the mixing bowl, turn the ball of dough to coat well, cover bowl with a towel, and set aside to rise until dough is tripled in bulk, 3 to 4 hours.
- 12Lightly flour the work surface and turn the dough out onto it.
- 13Flatten it into a large rectangle and sprinkle with the raisins.
- 14Roll up the dough and knead it, to distribute the raisins and let rise until doubled.
- 15Sprinkle a large baking sheet with 3 to 4 tablespoons cornmeal.
- 16Turn the dough out,cut it into 3 pieces, and shape each piece into a small round loaf.
- 17Set loaves on the baking sheet, leaving as much room as possible between them, cover, and let rise until doubled.
- 18Preheat oven to 400*.
- 19Beat egg white together with 1 tbls.
- 20cold water in a small bowl.
- 21When the loaves have risen sufficiently, brush the tops with the egg white mixture.
- 22Bake loaves on the middle rack of the oven for 35 to 45 minutes, or until they are dark brown and sound hollow when bottoms are rapped.
- 23Cool completely on racks before cutting or wrapping.
- 24Makes 3 loaves.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Raisin Pumpernickel Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1497 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1253.5
- Calories from Fat 122
- Total Fat 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2385.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 263.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 25.6 g
- Sugars 61.2 g
- Protein 30.9 g