Prep 3 hrs
Cook 40 mins
This is an adopted recipe from the Great Recipezaar Adoption Programme. I've read a lot about the Funeral Pie and when it was up for adoption, I grabbed it.
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons lemons, rind of, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- pastry crust
- Wash raisins and soak in cold water for 3 hours. Drain.
- Combine the 2 cups water, the raisins, sugar and flour which have been mixed together, salt, lemon juice and rind, and the egg. Mix thoroughly and cook over hot water for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cool. Pour into pastry-lined pan. Cover with narrow strips of dough, crisscrossed.
- Bake at 450-F for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350-F and bake 30 minutes.