- 2 1⁄2 cups seedless sultana raisins
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice or 1 cup orange, chopped (without peel)
- 1 cup evaporated milk or 1 cup cream
- to taste pastry for a double-crust 9-inch pie
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash raisins, add the water and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the brown sugar.
- Moisten the cornstarch with vinegar and orange juice (and a little water if using a chopped orange). Stir into the raisin mixture and cook until thick.
- Add the milk.
- Roll out half the pastry to line an 8-inch pie plate. Fill with the raisin mixture. Cover with the other half of the pastry.
- Make three or four slits in the top crust. Bake at 400 F for 35 to 45 minutes.