Recipe by lynnski / LA
This is an old family favorite, which is a take-off on soda bread. I like to serve it with soup. It's also good as a snack, served with Irish breakfast tea.
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the dry ingredients, in a large bowl.
- Stir in evaporated milk, honey and the raisins and nuts; mix until the dough holds together.
- Knead briefly (2 to 3 minutes) on a floured boad, until velvety; then form into a flattened round loaf and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Brush with water, cut a ctoss on top with a sharp, floured knife.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes, until browned.
- Cool on rack, slice thinly; Yields approximately 16 slices.