1 hr 15 mins
This is my all-time favorite bread pudding, at its best still slightly warm from the oven (and I'm not usually one for warm desserts). The orange-flavored meringue makes it extra-special.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 473.18 ml raisins (dark or light)
- 473.18 ml day-old bread cubes (plain, raisin* or egg bread)
- 59.14 ml brown sugar
- 1.23 ml salt
- 29.58 ml butter (melted) or 29.58 ml margarine (melted)
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 2 egg yolks (beaten (reserve whites for topping)
- 473.18 ml milk
- boiling water, for baking
- 2 egg whites
- 29.58-44.37 ml granulated sugar
- 3.69 ml grated orange rind
- 1Toss the raisins with bread cubes; set aside.
- 2Combine brown sugar, salt, butter or margarine, vanilla, egg yolks and milk and beat until well-blended. Pour onto bread and raisins, toss to combine, and let sit for 1/2 hour.
- 3Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8x8" baking dish, or spray with non-stick spray. You will also need a larger, shallow baking pan.
- 4Set the larger pan on the oven rack and place the 8x8 dish inside. Fill the outside pan to 1 inch deep with hot water.
- 5Bake for about 50 minutes, or until just barely firm. While baking, prepare orange meringue.
- 6Remove pudding from oven and spread with meringue, making sure you bring it to the edges. Return to the oven for 10 minutes or until meringue is lightly brown.
- 7ORANGE MERINGUE;
- 8Beat egg whites until fluffy. Gradually add the sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold in grated orange peel. Spread on baked pudding.
- 9* If using raisin bread, cut back a bit on the raisins. Also,the original recipe called for 3 tbs. sugar in the meringue, which I found a bit sweet. I cut it down to about 2 1/2 tbs., use your personal taste.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Raisin Meringue Bread Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (176 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 336.7
- Calories from Fat 79
- Total Fat 8.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 84.5 mg
- Sodium 273.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 42.3 g
- Protein 7.1 g