Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A Starbucks copy-cat recipe - by request
For the gingerbread
- 2⁄3 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2⁄3 cup molasses
- 2⁄3 cup boiling water
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, at room temp,cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 extra large egg, well beaten
- 1⁄2 cup dark raisin
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped candied ginger
For the icing
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 1⁄4 lb cream cheese, room temp
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped candied ginger
- Preheat oven 350, butter and flour 9 in sq baking pan.
- To make gingerbread, in a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, molasses, boiling water and butter.
- Blend by hand or electric mixer set on low.
- While the mixture is still hot, add the baking soda, egg and raisins.
- In a small bowl.
- re sift the flour with the cinnamon, ginger and cloves.
- Stir into the molasses mixture.
- Add the candied ginger and mix well without incorporating too many bubbles.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- To make icing, in a small bowl, beat together the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add then the sugar and beat until smooth.
- Mix in the vanilla and candied ginger.
- Chill briefly before frosting the gingerbread.