Prep 3 hrs
Cook 40 mins
Got this recipe from a neighbor we used to have that was always sending over yummy fresh baked bread. When they told us they were moving I asked for the recipes! Makes 2 loaves.
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons yeast
- 1 egg
- 2 cups Nature Valley oats 'n honey cereal, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 1⁄2-5 cups flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup raisins, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Mix yeast, salt, cinnamon and 2 c of flour.
- In saucepan, heat milk, water, honey and butter until very warm.
- Add to dry ingredients. Beat for 2 minutes.
- Add egg and crushed cereal. Beat for 2 minutes.
- Stir in enough flour to make soft dough.
- Turn out onto floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Place in greased bowl and turn. Let rise until double.
- Punch down.
- Prepare raisin filling by putting ingredients in a saucepan and bringing to a boil, stirring until thickened and then let cool.
- Divide dough in half. Roll out into rectangle, spread with half of raisin filling. Roll up and let rise until double.
- Bake 350 degrees for 40 minutes.