Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Anyone who grew up in Utah will remember buying these Cookies at ZCMI...they were the BEST cookies, but ever since ZCMI was bought by Macy's they haven't been available. This recipe was posted in the August 13th 2008 Salt Lake Tribune and I thought I'd post it here for anyone else who remembers these wonderful cookies!
- 2 cups shortening, I use transfat free
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups raisins
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
- For dough:.
- Cream together shortening and sugars.
- Add eggs, one at a time. Beating well after each addition.
- Stir in water.
- In a small bowl, mix flour, salt and soda.
- Add wet ingredients, mixing well.
- Divide dough into four parts.
- Roll each section into a 2 inch thick log.
- Wrap in plastic wrap or wax paper.
- Chill for several hours or overnight.
- For Filling:.
- Combine ingredients for filling in a saucepan.
- Stir and heat to boiling.
- Cook until thickened - then cool.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Using one roll of dough at a time, cut dough into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Lay slices on a greased baking sheet, leaving ample space between cookies.
- Place a teaspoon of filling on dough.
- Place another slice of dough on top, dough slices can be left unsealed, or for a slight decoration, press together with tines of a fork.
- Bake 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on rack, cookies freeze well.