Chef Johnny Ringo's Note:
Anyone who grew up in Utah will remember buying these Cookies at ZCMI...they were the BEST cookies, but ever since ZCMI was bought by Macy's they haven't been available. This recipe was posted in the August 13th 2008 Salt Lake Tribune and I thought I'd post it here for anyone else who remembers these wonderful cookies!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups shortening, I use transfat free
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1For dough:.
- 2Cream together shortening and sugars.
- 3Add eggs, one at a time. Beating well after each addition.
- 4Stir in water.
- 5In a small bowl, mix flour, salt and soda.
- 6Add wet ingredients, mixing well.
- 7Divide dough into four parts.
- 8Roll each section into a 2 inch thick log.
- 9Wrap in plastic wrap or wax paper.
- 10Chill for several hours or overnight.
- 11For Filling:.
- 12Combine ingredients for filling in a saucepan.
- 13Stir and heat to boiling.
- 14Cook until thickened - then cool.
- 15Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- 16Using one roll of dough at a time, cut dough into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- 17Lay slices on a greased baking sheet, leaving ample space between cookies.
- 18Place a teaspoon of filling on dough.
- 19Place another slice of dough on top, dough slices can be left unsealed, or for a slight decoration, press together with tines of a fork.
- 20Bake 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 21Cool on rack, cookies freeze well.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Raisin Filled Cookies - Zcmi Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (58 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 48
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 218.9
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 17.6 mg
- Sodium 109.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 19.5 g
- Protein 2.3 g