Recipe by skigb
Given by a co-worker who brought this to a potluck.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
OUTSTANDING in every way! But, of course, that's probably what any good, all-American raisin-lover would say! At first glance it looks like a lot of work, but these bars are extremely easy to put together & are well worth the time! Thanks for a great keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour (crust)
- 1⁄2 cup margarine (I use butter )
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups raisins (boiled and drained, filling)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon margarine (I use butter )
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 egg whites (topping)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together 1 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup margarine and 3 Tablespoon sugar.
- Pat into 9 x 13 pan.
- Bake 10 minutes at 350.
- Boil 2 cups raisins and drain.
- In pan mix together 1 cup whole milk, 3/4 cup sugar, 2 Tablespoons flour, 3 egg yolks and 1 Tablespoon margarine.
- Add raisins and cook till thick.
- Add 1 Teaspoon of vanilla.
- Spread filling over crust.
- Beat 3 egg whites and add 1/2 cup sugar. ( I also use 1/2 tsp of cream tartar).
- Beat till stiff.
- Spread over filling.
- Bake at 350 until light brown.
- About 15-20 minutes.