Prep 45 mins
Cook 12 mins
This is an old, old recipe...It was my grandma's and hard to tell where she ever got it from....When I was little, I used to love to go to her house and always eat one of her cookies...kind of time consuming to make but sure is worth it
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 4 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Add raisins to water and boil 5 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Cream shortening and sugar; add eggs and beat well.
- Add vanilla, cooled raisins, and chopped nuts.
- Sift together dry ingredients and add to raisin mixture;mix well.
- Drop by teaspoonful on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 400°F for 12-15 minutes.
- Makes about 60 cookies (depending on how big you make them).
These are terrific!! It's a cakey, raisiny delight!! DH loves raisins, I'm always trying different recipes...this one is a keeper! Thank you posting!