1/2 Photos of Raisin Breakfast Bread (Cramique)
2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
A lovely lean sort of brioche from Belgium, this particular version comes from Wittaner, arguably the best pastry shop in Brussels, and is featured in Nick Malgieri's "A Baker's Tour." This bread should be cut into relatively thin slices and makes great sandwiches and toast.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place 1 1/2 cups flour in the bowl of your mixer.
- 2In a medium bowl, whisk togathere the yeast and th milk, then whisk in the egg yolks.
- 3Stir the egg mixture into the flour.
- 4Using the paddle, mix on the lowest speed for 2 minutes; stop the mixer and allow the dough to rest for tene minutes.
- 5Add the butter, sugar and salt to the bowl along with the remaining 1/2 cup of flour and mix on the lowest speed until combined; then mix on medium speed until the dough is smooth and elastic, about another 3 - 4 minutes.
- 6Beat in the raisins on the lowest speed (if necessary, plump the raisins in hot water to soften, drain, pat dry and add).
- 7Scrape the dough into a buttereed bowl and turn the dough over so that the top is buttered.
- 8Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise til doubled, about an hour.
- 9Meanwhile butter a loaf pan and line the bottom with parchment.
- 10After the dough is risen, scrape it onto a floured board.
- 11Press the dough into a rectangle brush off any excess flour; stretch th dough into a rectangle and then fold like a business letter about the length of your loaf pan.
- 12Tuck in the ends and lay the loaf in the pan, seam side down.
- 13Butter a piece of plastic wrap and cover the bread with it (buttered side down) and allow the loaf to rise til doubled, about an hour.
- 14Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- 15When the loaf has completely risen, place on a rack in the middle of the oven and bake until the bread is a deep golden color and reaches an internal temperature of 200 degrees F., about 30 minutes.
- 16Unmold onto a rack and cool on its side.
- 17Eat it then or wrap and freeze.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Raisin Breakfast Bread (Cramique)
Serving Size: 1 (585 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1858.8
- Calories from Fat 557
- Total Fat 61.9 g
- Saturated Fat 35.3 g
- Cholesterol 516.8 mg
- Sodium 1845.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 290.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.4 g
- Sugars 69.4 g
- Protein 41.5 g