Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Start by preparing this delicious Strata one day ahead: as it needs to be refrigerated overnight. This is like having a plate of pancakes and maple served with sausage, same mix of satisfying flavors. Enjoy
- 1 lb bulk sausage
- 8 large eggs
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 16 ounces sliced raisin bread, each slice halved on diagonal
- 18 pitted dried plums, each cut into 3 pieces (prunes)
- pure maple syrup
- Saute sausage in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until brown and cooked through; breaking up with a fork, about 6 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to bowl; cool.
- Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Whisk eggs, milk,salt, and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Arrange half of the bread in bottom of prepared dish with bases of triangles facing in the same direction.
- Scatter half of sausage, then half of plums over bread.
- Arrange remaining bread in dish with triangles facing in opposite direction.
- Scatter remaining sausage and plums over bread.
- Pour milk mixture over; press on bread to submerge.
- Cover; chill overnight.
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place strata on rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake uncovered until strata is puffed and golden and knife inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Cut strata into squares and serve with maple syrup.
Another dish prepared for house guests, and it was fabulous. We used Jimmy Dean maple sausage, which only added flavor in my mind. Personally I will add more prunes next time, I like them a lot. Thanks.