Recipe by Barb G.
Start by preparing this delicious Strata one day ahead: as it needs to be refrigerated overnight. This is like having a plate of pancakes and maple served with sausage, same mix of satisfying flavors. Enjoy
Top Review by Sallie H
Another dish prepared for house guests, and it was fabulous. We used Jimmy Dean maple sausage, which only added flavor in my mind. Personally I will add more prunes next time, I like them a lot. Thanks.
- 1 lb bulk sausage
- 8 large eggs
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 16 ounces sliced raisin bread, each slice halved on diagonal
- 18 pitted dried plums, each cut into 3 pieces (prunes)
- pure maple syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute sausage in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until brown and cooked through; breaking up with a fork, about 6 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer sausage to bowl; cool.
- Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Whisk eggs, milk,salt, and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Arrange half of the bread in bottom of prepared dish with bases of triangles facing in the same direction.
- Scatter half of sausage, then half of plums over bread.
- Arrange remaining bread in dish with triangles facing in opposite direction.
- Scatter remaining sausage and plums over bread.
- Pour milk mixture over; press on bread to submerge.
- Cover; chill overnight.
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place strata on rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake uncovered until strata is puffed and golden and knife inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Cut strata into squares and serve with maple syrup.