Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
These muffins are my wife's favorite. Only 1 point, but very tasty and wholesome. This makes a lot, so find your biggest covered bowl to mix them up. Note that this recipe needs to be refrigerated overnight, so plan accordingly. Also note that you can keep the mixture in the fridge up to 6 weeks before baking. These muffins freeze well.
- 6 cups bran flakes (Kellogg's Complete)
- 4 cups Fiber One cereal (Original)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 5 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup prune baby food or 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 quarts buttermilk
- 16 ounces raisins
- 16 ounces carrots, shredded
- In a very large covered bowl, mix together the cereals, sugar, flours, soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- in a small bowl mix together the eggs, baby food or applesauce, and vanilla.
- add eggs to cereal mixture.
- add buttermilk to cereal mixture, mix well.
- add raisins, and carrots (if using), to cereal mixture. mix well.
- cover bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- To bake, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray muffin pans with nonstick spray. Fill almost to the top with refrigerated mixture.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.