Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I have always been disappointed when I've baked homemade bran muffins, but not anymore. These are moist and flavourful. I think the trick with the moistness is combining the bran with the wet ingredients, as no other bran muffin recipe I've tried had this step. I often cut this recipe in half and bake just 6 in my toaster oven. These freeze well, too.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups wheat bran
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup raisins (or blueberries, unthawed if frozen)
- Preheat oven to 400F; prepare muffin pans by lining cups with paper muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, oil, molasses, sugar and vanilla.
- Stir in bran; let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; add to egg mixture, stirring just until combined.
- Carefully stir in raisins, being careful not to overmix.
- Fresh blueberries, or unthawed frozen ones, can be substituted for raisins, by the way.
- Spoon into paper-lined muffin cups, filling right to the top.
- Bake in preheated oven for approximately 20 minutes, or until muffins are firm to the touch; do not overbake or muffins will be dry and tough.
- As mentioned in the description, I like to cut this recipe in half (half of 3/4 cup brown sugar is 1/4 cup+ 2 tbsp) and bake the 6 in my toaster oven; after 20 minutes they are always done to perfection and I don't heat up my kitchen.
- Remove muffins from pan and cool on rack.
Very moist and delicious. DH said this is a definite five star and if you only had used golden raisins they would be a ten. They are very moist and extremely tasty.
WOW! This recipe is outstanding! I'm a baker in a family-run bakery, and these blow the bran muffins we make out of the water! I will be sharing this recipe with my employer, for sure. I didn't have any raisins on hand at home, so I added the zest of one orange, along with a big handful of frozen cranberries. I'm very impressed, thanks so much for sharing!
Best muffin recipe EVER! Used Whole wheat flour so I added 1/4 cup of milk extra. 1/2 cup of brown sugar is plenty. Also added 1 cup of frozen cranberries with 1 cup of raisins. Do not overbake, watch them carefully.