Recipe by Sydney Mike
I enjoy making bars & cookies, & have collected recipes for them over the years. Here's one I picked up 30 years ago.
Top Review by anme
I must say these took a bit more effort than the average bar type treat, but it was worth it I think. I didnt have pumpkin pie spice so I added equal parts cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice (about a dash of each). These did taste better the next day as other have mentioned too.
- 1 1⁄4 cups dried apricots, quartered
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄3 cups dark raisins
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups rolled oats
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, combine apricots, water, raisins, sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch & pumpkin pie spice, & cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils & thickens. Remove from heat & cool.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F, & grease a 13"x9" baking dish.
- In a large mixer bowl, cream butter & brown sugar.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt & rolled oats, & mix well.
- Pat half of this mixture into bottom of prepared baking dish, then spread cooled fruit mixture over that.
- Sprinkle remaining flour mixture evenly over the fruit & lightly press it down.
- Bake 22-25 minutes, or until firm in the center & topping is crisp.
- Cool completely before cutting into 2" squares.