Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Sunmaid and Gooseberry Patches' Muffins. Very good!
- 236.59 ml sun-maid currants or 236.59 ml raisins
- 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped about 1 cup
- 177.44 ml milk
- 78.07 ml granulated sugar
- 59.14 ml vegetable oil
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 236.59 ml quick-cooking oats
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 9.85 ml cinnamon
- 4.92 ml nutmeg
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml allspice
- 29.58 ml brown sugar or 29.58 ml coarse raw sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°. Butter 12 muffin cups or line with paper baking cups.
- COMBINE raisins, apple, milk, sugar and oil in a medium mixing bowl.
- STIR together flour, oats, baking powder, cinammon, nutmeg, salt and allspice in a small bowl. Stir into raisin mixture just until combined.
- SPOON batter into prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle tops with ½ teaspoon brown sugar or sugar crystals.
- BAKE 20 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Although I'm particularly big on raisins, I stayed with the currants for this recipe & made it pretty much as written! The topping was some really drak brown sugar that I put together here at home, so there was a strong molasses flavor there, which we liked! These very tasty muffins are very easy to prepare & make for A GREAT BREAKFAST TREAT! [Made & reviewed for one of the Pick A Chef co-hosts]