3 hrs 45 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
I'm posting this in answer to a request. I have added a few suggestions, based on my experience with yeast doughs, but the recipe is from Betty Crocker's Cookbook, 1969. I have made these and they turned out well, but it was a very long time ago. The cooking time is my guess for the total recipe, not for each doughnut. Both prep times and cooking times are approximations.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons dry yeast
- 3/4 cup lukewarm milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3 3/4 cups flour (about, divided)
Glaze for doughnuts
- 1Place warm water in a large mixing bowl.
- 2Sprinkle yeast over the surface of the water; wait a few minutes then stir to dissolve.
- 3Mix in milk, sugar, salt, egg, shortening, and 2 cups flour and beat until smooth.
- 4Mix in up to 1¾ cups more flour, until you get a dough that can be handled.
- 5(Too soft is better than too stiff.) Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- 6Place in a greased bowl; turn greased side up and cover with oiled plastic wrap.
- 7Let rise in a warm place until double, about 1½ hours; punch dough down.
- 8(When the weather is warm, the dough will rise more quickly, do not let it rise past double.) Let rise again until almost double, about 30 minutes; roll dough 3/8 inch thick on lightly floured surface.
- 9Cut with a doughnut cutter that has been floured.
- 10Let rise, uncovered, on waxpaper until double and very light, 30 to 45 minutes.
- 11Heat oil to 375°.
- 12Drop doughnuts into hot fat.
- 13Turn doughnuts as they rise to the surface.
- 14Fry 2 to 3 minutes or until golden on both sides, being careful not to prick them.
- 15Carefully remove from fat and drain.
- 16Roll in sugar or glaze while warm.
- 17To glaze, blend ingredients for glaze and dip warm doughnuts into it.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Raised Doughnuts
Serving Size: 1 (1076 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 126.5
- Calories from Fat 25
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 9.8 mg
- Sodium 104.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 2.6 g