1/3 Photos of Rainy Day Collards and Lentil Soup
1 hr 30 mins
It's raining cold and damp outside. Inside you'll be all warmed up with this savory, comforting, hearty and nutritious soup. Great to make and freeze for those days that are just to busy to cook. Giving a vegetarian option or for meat eaters with bacon. Top with crispy croutons if desired.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 slices center-cut bacon or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, dice
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 1 celery rib
- 3 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 lbs collard greens, stems removed and rough chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb crushed tomatoes
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder, more if you like it hot
- 1/2-1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup dried brown lentils or 1 cup green lentil, picked over and rinsed
- 1In a large pot heat olive oil over medium heat or if using fry bacon till crisp. Set bacon a side.
- 2In the oil or bacon fat saute the onions, red pepper, carrots, celery and garlic till tender about 8 minutes. Adding more olive oil if needed.
- 3Add the collards they will fill the pot but cook down a lot.Season with salt and pepper.
- 4Top with the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil then simmer for 50 minutes.
- 5Taste to adjust seasonings.
- 6Crumble the bacon if using.
- 7Garnish the soup with one or all , a drizzle of vinegar, olive oil, bacon bits and fresh basil.
- 8Oh! be sure to remove the bay leaf before enjoying.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rainy Day Collards and Lentil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (163 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 140.3
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 392.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.6 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 9.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: