Recipe by Cookin'withGas
First there was Rainy Day Cake...Then there was Rainy Day Soup...Now here's Rainy Day Casserole! No dull, dreary, wet day is bearable without something substantial to fortify you against the damp weather! Now it's made healthier than it's original version with the use of turkey-based sausage, no salt added tomatoes, 1% milk and whole wheat pasta!
- 1 lb turkey sausage, bulk (found mine in freezer section)
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes (no salt added)
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 2 cups macaroni, uncooked (Ronzoni Whole Wheat pasta)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brown sausage, onion, garlic, and green peppers in the olive oil in a skillet, cooking until soft.
- Then mix sausage mixture with remaining ingredients in a greased baking dish.
- Cover and bake in the preheated 350°F oven for 45 minutes, or until macaroni is tender.
- Suggestions: Use a different pasta such as rotini or penne rigati.