Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
We have won many local chili cook-offs with this recipe. It doubles or triples well. It's best when made a day ahead and left to sit overnight. I have substituted pork or stew meat for chuck roast. It works great but we like chuck roast best. I give both slow-cooker directions (which I greatly prefer as I hate watching a pot) and stove top or oven directions. You can encourage the meat to shred by pressing in against the side of the pan when it's soft and almost ready.
- 3 lbs chuck roast, with fat removed cut into 1-2 inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
- 4 chopped and seeded jalapeno peppers (optional)
- 2 chopped and seeded habanero peppers (optional)
- 2 white onions, chopped
- 8 tablespoons chili powder (I use one small bottle)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground oregano
- 2 (13 3/4 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can Hunts tomato sauce
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chili beans or 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans
- Put meat and flour into paper bag. Shake to coat meat.
- Heat 2 T oil (or enough to cover bottom) in dutch oven or large pan.
- Add meat, cook until browned. (5 minutes or so.).
- Transfer to crock pot if using. If not using crock pot, remove meat and set aside.
- Reheat pan and add oil.
- To hot oil, add chilis, garlic, onion and cook until onions are soft.
- Add spices, continue cooking a few minutes.
- Add broth and tomato sauce to crockpot stir and bring to boil. Transfer to crock-pot. Cook in crockpot on Hi for 8 hours or until meat shreds.
- (If doing this on stove, add meat to pot and cook on low for 3-4 hours until meat falls apart. Watch and stir frequently to keep from burning. You can also put the whole thing in a 350 degree oven for 3-4 hours where you don't need to watch it as closely.).
- Add beans and top with chopped onions, sour cream, cheddar cheese or anything else desired.
- I sometimes serve this over rice to stretch it out a little if I need to serve more people.
- Freezes great!