Multi-colored vegetables make this cheese delicious and pretty! Serve with garlic bread for a great summer lunch.
- 4 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 medium yellow squash, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion, white
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped tomato, red
- 2 cups crumbled queso fresco (mexican cheese)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro (to garnish)
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook 5 minutes, or until the onion is slightly tender. Stir in the zucchini, squash and saute just until it begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Mix in the tomatoes and raise the heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring often, until the zucchini and squash are tender but not mushy and the juices have evaporated. Sprinkle with Queso Fresco crumbles over zucchini/squash at a low simmer. Cover and cook the cheese until just tender, about a few minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro to serve.