Prep 45 mins
Cook 40 mins
this is one of my low carb offerings full of colours and flavours from fresh mint to sweet carrots, pot stickers are stuffed with a indian style stuffing . The steamed fish is a adaptation of a Parasi dish called Patharani-Macchi it is steamed in a jacket of banana leaf on the side is served green peas potstickers, carrot pachadi(salad) and wilted rainbow chard. Really a good blend of spices and not over powering at all good to impress your in-laws
- 4 trout fillets
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 green chilies
- 100 g fresh desiccated coconut
- 1 cup fresh cilantro (washed and drained)
- 1⁄2 cup of fresh mint (washed and drained)
- 3 limes, juice of
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 whole banana leaf, cut into 6 inch squares (available in Indian grocery stores)
FOR POT STICKERS wrapping dough
- 200 ml all-purpose flour
- 125 ml boiling water
- 10 ml vegetable oil
- 5 g salt
- 200 g frozen green peas (thawed)
- 50 g fresh desiccated coconut
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped ginger
- 30 ml vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon mango powder, available in Indian stores (amachur)
- 1 green chili (optional)
FOR CARROT SALAD
- 150 g grated carrots
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 -3 whole dried red chilies
- 1⁄4 teaspoon asafetida powder (hing) (optional)
- 1 sprig fresh curry leaf (Indian stores)
- 1⁄4 bunch fresh cilantro leaves
FOR SWISS CHARD
- 1 bunch rainbow chard leaves
- 50 ml olive oil
- 15 ml minced ginger
- Wash truot fllets and dab dry.
- In a food processor, grind ginger, garlic, coconut, mint, and lime juice; blend adding water as necessary to make a thick paste.
- Season with salt. Wash and wipe banana leaves and apply paste all over the leaf.
- Place the trout fillet at one end and fold tightly making sure all the spice is covering the fish.
- Steam fish over a bamboo steamer or in perforated pan over a pot of boiling liquid.
- Combine together flour, salt and water and mix well.
- Knead well with oil on the palms to make a smooth dough.
- In a pan heat oil, add cumin seeds and allow to crackle.
- Add chilli, ginger, coconut and sauté for 3 minutes. Mix in the green peas and season with salt and mango powder (allow to cool).
- Roll out the dough into 1 1/2-inch disks and place 1 tbs of stuffing in the center.
- Fill the dough to form a half moon shape and then make it stand on one side by pressing it on the working surface.
- Cook in a hot frying pan first with oil to sear the bottom and then covered with a little amount of liquid to almost steam roast, about 5 minutes.
- Carrot salad:.
- In a heated pan with oil, add mustard seeds and allow to crackle; add rest of the ingredients and allow to cook for 3 minutes.
- Add in the carrots and season with salt.
- Allow to cool before service.
- Swiss chard:.
- Wash and trim the thick stems on the back of the leaf heat oil and wilt down the leaves with some ginger juliennes.
- Season with salt. Place two pot stickers on the plate at 2 o'clock, swiss chard in the center topped with the wrapped fish. Serve carrot salad at 10 o'clock. This dish is visually appealing and full of flavour.