Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I like the combination of pineapple and cherries, gives it a tropical flavor. Got the recipe from a friend but don't know where she got it. Cook time is only for the base. The meringue can burn quite easily so keep a close eye on it.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup margarine
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 bottle drained cherries (halved)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons almond flavoring
- Mix base with pastry blender and press into 9x9 pan.
- Bake 15 minutes@ 350.
- Cook topping ingredients on stove until thickened.
- Pour over base mixture.
- Beat 2 egg whites with 4 tbsps.
- sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Pour over top and put in oven to brown.
This is one of my favorite recipes. But I use butter instead of margarine. It does a much better job.