Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A colorful, light, and tasty dessert! I've made this for parties a few times, and the response from the party folks has been *very* positive! :)
- 1 9 inch angel food cake
- 1 pint Orange sherbet, softened
- 1 pint raspberry sherbet, softened
- 1 pint lime sherbet, softened
- 1 (12 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Slice angel food cake crosswise to make four layers.
- Wash and dry the angel food cake pan, then line it with wax paper.
- Working quickly so the sherbet doesn't melt all over your kitchen, place the top layer of the cut cake back into the bottom of the pan and spread raspberry sherbet evenly on the cake.
- Repeat with remaining cake layers and lime and orange sherbets.
- Place cake and sherbet layers into the freezer for at least 30 minutes to allow it to firm up.
- When firm, run a knife heated in hot water between the pan and wax paper, then carefully tip the cake onto the serving dish, remove wax paper, and finish with final layer of cake: frost sides and top with whipped topping and place back in the freezer for 1 hour, until firm.
- Serve and enjoy!
- You can use whatever flavors of sherbet or sorbet you like - contrasting colors are nice - I've used lemon and mango, as well.
I first posted this recipe as a response to a recipe request on the boards - I hadn't, at that time, tried it yet. However, I made it this last weekend for a gathering at my house, and the guests really enjoyed it. They commented that it was quite nice, that they thought it was a great cake for spring and summer, and that its lighter taste was a wonderful change from conventional cakes. I've since changed the recipe to include changes in the directions that will make the cake easier to construct without getting melted sherbet all over your kitchen. ;) I hope you enjoy the cake as much as I have!