Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Perfect for bake exchanges because it makes a huge batch! From Parents Magazine December 2003. Prep time does not include chilling the dough.
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup red colored crystal sugar
- 1⁄2 cup orange colored crystal sugar
- 1⁄2 cup yellow colored crystal sugar
- 1⁄2 cup green colored crystal sugar
- 1⁄2 cup blue colored crystal sugar
- 1⁄2 cup purple colored crystal sugar
- In large bowl, with mixer on high, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg yolks, egg, vanilla, and salt, and beat well to combine.
- With mixer on low, gradually beat in flour. Divide dough into 6 equal pieces, roll each piece into an 8-inch log, and chill 15-20 minutes. Working with 1 roll at a time, roll in 1 color of crystal sugar and then wrap in saran wrap. Continue until all are rolled in colored sugar and wrapped.
- Refrigerate completed rolls for 3 hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Cut logs into 1/4 inch thick slices, and place on greased baking sheet 1/2 inch apart. Bake 12 to 16 minutes, until golden. Let cool 5 minutes on baking sheet, transfer to wire rack, and let cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough, Makes about 12 dozen cookies.
These are great for cookie exchanges or bake sales! I coat the rolls in the coloured sugars or sprinkles before the dough rolls are chilled so that the sugar or sprinkles stick to them better, but that's the only change I make. I only get about 100 cookies from a batch because I like my cookies thicker and softer.
I love this recipe! The flavor is great and they're so pretty. The only problem I had was that my rolls got longer and narrower when I rolled them in the sugar, so I ended up with a lot more cookies in a smaller size. I kind of like them little like this for my Christmas trays, but when I make them next time, I'm going to refrigerate them longer before rolling, so I can make them the right size to see how they come out. Thanks for this new Christmas tray addition! :)
These are amazing!!! They taste EXACTLY like Pepperidge Farm Bordeaux cookies!!!!