Perfect for bake exchanges because it makes a huge batch! From Parents Magazine December 2003. Prep time does not include chilling the dough.
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup red colored crystal sugar
- 1⁄2 cup orange colored crystal sugar
- 1⁄2 cup yellow colored crystal sugar
- 1⁄2 cup green colored crystal sugar
- 1⁄2 cup blue colored crystal sugar
- 1⁄2 cup purple colored crystal sugar
- In large bowl, with mixer on high, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg yolks, egg, vanilla, and salt, and beat well to combine.
- With mixer on low, gradually beat in flour. Divide dough into 6 equal pieces, roll each piece into an 8-inch log, and chill 15-20 minutes. Working with 1 roll at a time, roll in 1 color of crystal sugar and then wrap in saran wrap. Continue until all are rolled in colored sugar and wrapped.
- Refrigerate completed rolls for 3 hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Cut logs into 1/4 inch thick slices, and place on greased baking sheet 1/2 inch apart. Bake 12 to 16 minutes, until golden. Let cool 5 minutes on baking sheet, transfer to wire rack, and let cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough, Makes about 12 dozen cookies.