Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
From AllRecipes. This would freeze well.
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large orange bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 lemon
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) , halve all peppers (remove seeds) and peel garlic.
- Place halved peppers, cut side up in shallow baking dish. Place one garlic clove in each half and squeeze lemon juice generously over peppers.
- Roast for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile pour vegetable broth into a 2 quart sauce pan and add fennel seeds. Bring to boil, cover and simmer.
- When peppers are done, remove from oven and set aside to cool. When cool enough to touch peel skin from peppers.
- Strain fennel seeds from broth and return to a boil. Add thyme and simmer 15 minutes, reducing amount of broth.
- Slice a 1 inch section from each color of pepper and cut into pieces. Set aside for later garnishing.
- In a blender, place remaining peppers, garlic and a 1/2 cup broth on blend just long enough to shred the peppers, but not puree them. You want to see the different colors.
- Pour the blended peppers into the broth and stir well. Add garlic salt and black pepper to taste, then add garnishing pepper pieces and enjoy.
- Do not boil or cook any longer as the colors will fade.