Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
this is a really pretty cake when you slice it. If you are making this for kids you can leave the rum out. You can freeze the ice cream layers several days ahead. Bake cake layers, assemble cake, without frosting, wrap in aluminum foil, freeze. To serve, remove from freezer, frost just before serving.
- 1 quart strawberry ice cream, softened
- 1 quart pistachio ice cream, softened
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) package chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 2 tablespoons rum (optional)
- 1 (12 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- pistachios, to garnish
- chocolate sprinkles, to garnish
- Line an 8-inch cakepan with wax paper, and quickly spread half the strawberry ice cream evenly in pan; cover with more wax paper or plastic wrap, and quickly spread with ahlf of pistachio ice cream.
- repeat process with remaining ice creams. Freeze until smooth.
- Prepare cake mix according to package instructions.
- Spoon batter into 3 well greased and floured 8-inch cakepans.
- Bake at 350F for 15 to 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- Gently fold rum into whipped topping, if desired, chill.
- Place serving plate in freezer to chill.
- Place 1 cake layer on chilled serving plate; top with a layer of strawberry ice cream and layer of pistachio ice cream; repeat layers, and then top with remaining layer of cake.
- Frost top and sides of cake with whipped topping.
- garnish, if desired.
- Serve, right away.
- Cover and freeze any left over ice cream cake.