Recipe by Annisette
I make this soup often. My family loves it...my kids even ASK for it, if you can believe that. You don't have to puree it, but we think it's better pureed. Use vegetable broth for a vegetarian soup.
Top Review by mydesigirl
I like it but I'm going on taste...not looks. ;) My family wouldn't touch it but I kind of figured that so I halved the recipe. I used my immersion blender and it is really thick. Almost like pudding. It is a very easy, healthy recipe so I will be making this again. If it doesn't warm up here it will be sooner rather than later. Thanks so much for posting!
- 2 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 -5 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 8 large garlic cloves, diced
- 2 tablespoons flour (optional) or 2 tablespoons arrowroot (optional)
- 8 cups chicken broth or 8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 2 cups potatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 2 cups zucchini, sliced
- 2 cups yellow squash, sliced
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- salt (to taste) or salt substitute (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Saute tomatoes, onion, and garlic about 10 minutes.
- Add flour (if using) and mix in well.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil, stirring occassionally.
- Add carrots, potatoes, and red pepper flakes. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add zucchini and squash. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Add pepper and salt to taste.
- Puree in blender or with a hand blender.
- Adjust seasonings and serve.