Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I make this soup often. My family loves it...my kids even ASK for it, if you can believe that. You don't have to puree it, but we think it's better pureed. Use vegetable broth for a vegetarian soup.
- 2 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 -5 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 8 large garlic cloves, diced
- 2 tablespoons flour (optional) or 2 tablespoons arrowroot (optional)
- 8 cups chicken broth or 8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 2 cups potatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 2 cups zucchini, sliced
- 2 cups yellow squash, sliced
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- salt (to taste) or salt substitute (to taste)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Saute tomatoes, onion, and garlic about 10 minutes.
- Add flour (if using) and mix in well.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil, stirring occassionally.
- Add carrots, potatoes, and red pepper flakes. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add zucchini and squash. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Add pepper and salt to taste.
- Puree in blender or with a hand blender.
- Adjust seasonings and serve.
I like it but I'm going on taste...not looks. ;) My family wouldn't touch it but I kind of figured that so I halved the recipe. I used my immersion blender and it is really thick. Almost like pudding. It is a very easy, healthy recipe so I will be making this again. If it doesn't warm up here it will be sooner rather than later. Thanks so much for posting!
A really lovely soup which was easy to make and which we’ll certainly enjoy again during the coming winter months when soups are just SO welcome! A wonderful blend of flavours! I used a homemade chicken stock (I generally have some on hand as I use it a lot) and I made this almost exactly to the recipe. I omitted the red pepper flakes (a personal taste preference) and I added some finely chopped fresh basil in step 7. I didn’t use any flour, and I puréed all of the soup with an immersion blender as I prefer my soups puréed. I’ve made this for Pick a Chef 2006. Thank you, Annisette, for three really wonderful recipes which we will enjoy again and again!