Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Gift jar directions at bottom of the recipe - add onto a recipe card and attach to the gift! Or skip the gift making and indulge yourself with this treat!! NOTE: This recipe is to be prepared one QUART size wide mouth canning jar and will yield 24 cupcakes.
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup miniature M&M's chocolate candies
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (to be added by the recipient)
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Creating the Gift in a Jar:
- Wash and thoroughly dry a 1-quart wide-mouth canning jar.
- Layer the ingredients in the jar as listed above starting with the flour, salt, baking powder, M&Ms and then sugar - make sure to press firmly with a flat bottomed object after each addition; make the layers as level as possible.
- Secure the lid and decorate as desired; attach the instructions for making these cookies found below.
- RAINBOW CUPCAKES GIFT TAG:
- Additional ingredients to be added by the recipient: 3 large egg whites, 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup butter, softened, and 2 tsp vanilla extract.
- RAINBOW CUPCAKES INSTRUCTIONS:
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg whites, milk, butter and extract; blend with electric mixer set on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add the contents of the jar and blend on low speed for 2 minutes.
- Spoon the batter into papered muffin tins, filling each liner two-thirds full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the tin, then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Reviewed for Aus/NZ Forum June Recipe Swap- made these tonight with my 8yo daughter. Easy to make and my family were eating the cakes before they had finished cooling! As I am gluten-free, my daughter Holly gives you 100 stars for these rainbow cupcakes. We made20 cupcakes, though our cases may have been larger than standard size. Photo to be posted. (Sorry to be so late with my review)
This seems like a really fun recipe and gift idea! Would love to see a picture of it... I'm going to try the cake recipe you've shared because I've been looking for a great white cake recipe that gives light, melt-in-your-mouth cupcakes. Thanks for sharing!
I just tryed this wonderful recipe out before making up the jar for holiday gift giving and they baked out very light, I am going to make one more batch using white shortening in place of butter and see how that goes before filling the jars, this makes a wonderful gift for the baker on you list, thank for sharing this Mom2Rose, Merry Christmas!...Kitten :)