1/2 Photos of Rainbow Cupcakes
These cupcakes are from scratch, no cake mixes involved. I have adapted a recipe from bakingbites.com. My daughter wanted to make some rainbow cupcakes for a friend who was hit by a car. She had made them before using a cake mix & I wasn't really happy with the end result. This is what we came up with. You can use paper liners, silicone cupcake liners or grease your muffin tins. If you use silicone liners or grease your tins the colours show very nicely. The cupcakes are not too sweet & the olive oil makes them nice & moist. Frost with plain buttercream, cream cheese frosting or strawberry cream frosting. Decorate with sprinkles if desired. I ended up with 24 cupcakes & 1 small loaf when I made these. I might try using frozen fruit juice concentrates to colour the batter another time to see if it is possible to avoid using food colouring.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 473.18 ml flour
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 4 eggs
- 236.59 ml olive oil
- 236.59 ml buttermilk
- 14.79 ml vanilla
- liquid food coloring
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 2Grease muffin tins, or line with paper or silicone cupcake liners.
- 3Whisk flour, salt, baking powder & baking soda together.
- 4Whisk eggs, sugar, oil, buttermilk & vanilla together in a separate bowl.
- 5Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients & whisk to combine.
- 6Divide batter into 6 dishes, using 3/4 c batter per dish.
- 7Add colour to each of the dishes as follows, & stir well to mix.
- 8purple - 3 drops red food colour & 2 drops blue food colour,.
- 9blue - 6 drops blue,.
- 10green - 6 drops green,.
- 11yellow - 6 drops yellow,.
- 12orange - 6 drops yellow & 2 drops red,.
- 13red - 9 drops red.
- 14Starting with purple, add 1 generous teaspoon to each prepared cupcake liner. Then move on to the blue & top with 1 teaspoon of blue. continue on like this for each colour in the order given above. You can either add the colours one on top of the other & they will form layers, or you can place spoonfuls around the edge of the cupcake liner & you will get a blocky colour effect. Don't try to spread the batter or you will end up blending the colours together.
- 15Bake at 350 for 15 - 20 minutes. If you are using a convection oven lower your temperature to 325 & bake for the same amount of time. Cool on wire rack. If you have used silicone liners, remove the cupcakes from the liners after about 10 minutes or they will create to much moisture.
- 16Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:.
- 17Beat butter, vanilla & cream until light & fluffy.
- 18Beat in icing sugar, 1 cup at a time.
- 19Beat well after last cup of icing sugar.
- 20Spread or pipe frosting on cooled cupcakes.
- 21Top with candy sprinkles (if using) after each cupcake before frosting has a chance to set up.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rainbow Cupcakes
Serving Size: 1 (64 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 26
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 247.2
- Calories from Fat 120
- Total Fat 13.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 40.7 mg
- Sodium 152.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 21.8 g
- Protein 2.3 g