I made these after I saw a video on how to do it. It's super easy and fun to do. Your kids will have fun making them too. READ ME: All the food colorings must be GEL! The computer wouldn't accept "gel food coloring" or "paste" on all of them.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 460.67 g white cake mix
- 3 egg whites
- 295.73 ml water
- 78.07 ml vegetable oil
- red food coloring
- orange food coloring
- yellow food coloring paste
- green food coloring paste
- blue food coloring
- purple food coloring paste
- 453.59 g container white frosting
- 1Preheat your oven to 350 degrees/F.
- 2Mix your cake mix, egg whites, and vegetable oil. If you can't separate an egg, crack the egg into a slotted spoon and the whites will run out while you're left with the yolk. (NOTE: The ingredients you need for the cake mix vary by brand. I'm using Betty Crocker).
- 3Separate your cake batter evenly among 6 plastic bowls/cups.
- 4Dye each bowl with one color. You can add Indigo into the rainbow if you have a dark blue dye, or you can add some black to blue.
- 5Place a small amount of violet (purple) batter into the bottom of the liner.
- 6Now add the same amount of blue. This is where it gets tricky. If you want even layers of colors, pour them while moving the spoon across the liner and smooth it out.
- 7Add your green, then yellow, then orange, then red should be your top color.
- 8Bake these for about 18-23 minutes (21 minutes worked well) or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- 9Let these cool completely in the fridge or freezer before frosting/decorating!
- 10TIP: If you plan on piping your frosting, keep the tub in the fridge until you need to use it. Avoid using the whipped/light frosting.
- 11Decorate with assorted sprinkles, candies, and colors! It's up to you!
- 12ENJOY! :).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rainbow Cupcakes
Serving Size: 1 (69 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 253.7
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 227.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 30.0 g
- Protein 1.7 g