Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
These cupcakes have become quite popular on several of the Livejournal baking communities. They are fun, funky, and very easy to make! A great project to do with kids!
- 19 1⁄2 ounces white cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 6 ounces food coloring (Gel food coloring is best, Betty Crocker offers traditional colors as well as neon colors)
- 8 ounces cream cheese frosting
- Mix the cake batter according to package directions.
- Evenly divide prepared batter into several different bowls. The amount of bowls will depend on the amount of colors you want for your cupcakes.
- Add a generous amount of gel food coloring to each bowl until you have a vibrant batter.
- I usually mix 7 bowls - red, orange, pink, yellow, green, blue, and purple.
- Line your muffin tin with paper cups and then begin spooning the colored batter into the cups.
- Add batter color by color, one tablespoon of red in each of the cups, then added a tablespoon of orange on top of the red, and so on until all colors were used. The colors will not "leak".
- Fill the cups approximately 2/3 full of batter.
- Bake as directed on the box.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely, and frost to your liking.
- I used whipped cream cheese frosting to give the cupcakes a "cloud" effect.
Wonderful idea! I just made these for my best friend, as i can't really afford to get her a nice birthday gift this year. She absolutely adored them!
Cool cupcakes! My whole family enjoyed them! Thanks!
These were amazing!! Such a great idea! Used a from-scratch recipe instead of a box mix, and had some neon food coloring on hand. They look great. :)