Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This colorful, easy-to-make cake outshines anything you find in a bakery window!
- 1 (18 ounce) box angel food cake mix
- 1 teaspoon grated lemons or 1 teaspoon orange rind
- 1 1⁄4 cups cold water
- 6 -8 drops red food coloring
- 6 -8 drops yellow food coloring
- 6 -8 drops green food coloring
- candy colored sprinkles
- 2⁄3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 -2 tablespoon lemons or 1 -2 tablespoon orange juice
- Move oven rack to lowest position (remove other racks). Preheat oven to 350°F
- Beat cake mix, lemon peel and cold water in extra-large glass or metal bowl on low speed 30 seconds; beat on medium speed 1 minutes. Divide batter evenly among 3 bowls. Gently stir 1 food color into each of the batters. Pour red batter into ungreased angel food pan (tube pan), 10x4 inches. Spoon yellow batter on red batter. Spoon green batter on top.
- Bake 37 to 47 minutes or until top is dark golden brown and cracks feel very dry and not sticky.
- Immediately turn pan upside down onto glass bottle until cake is completely cool. Run knife around edges; remove from pan. Drizzle with Citrus Glaze. Sprinkle with confetti. Store tightly covered.
- Citrus Glaze: Mix powdered sugar and butter. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice. Stir in additional lemon juice, 1 teaspoon at a time, until glaze is thin enough to drizzle.
This is a great Easter cake. The colors are so pretty. It is easy and everyone thinks your so creative. If they only knew how easy it was. I will never tell. Loved it.
This looked and tasted fantastic. Made one also for bake sale and it was snatch up right away. How easy it was to make, which really dresses up the angel food with the colored layers, I will be making this often as I love angel food cake. Great for dieters you feel like you are getting a really special treat. Presentation was great! Thanx for a great idea.