Here's the recipe passes down from mother for this wonderful meal
Make and share this Rahmschnitzel recipe from Food.com.
- 4 slices top round veal, cut no thicker than 1/4" (have butcher tenderize)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 small onions or 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bottle dry red wine
- 250 g creme fraiche (8 1/2 oz) or 250 g heavy whipping cream (8 1/2 oz)
- 1 teaspoon instant clear broth or 1 can clear broth (use vegetable if clear not available)
- salt and pepper
- 500 g fresh mushrooms, sliced (17.5 oz)
- 1 bottle champagne Fruity ice cream dessert, as desired Directions: In heavy frying pan,on medium heat setting, brown meat on both sides, at the same time sauteing the onions and garlic.When onions start turning dark, add 2 tbs red wine, continue cooking and reducing wine liquid.
- Repeat this procedure 4 more times.
- (Use about 250-300 ml red wine) The last addition of red wine is reduced by only one half, then add the creme fraiche or heavy cream, stirring frequently to avoid lumps.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer, adding clear broth.
- Add pepper and salt to taste. Don't overdo it. When the Rahm (cream) has been reduced and is fairly thick, add the sliced mushrooms.
- Turn off heat and remove pan.
- (Adding the mushrooms thins the Rahm, so be sure that the Rahm was thick prior to adding mushrooms). Stir well, cover pan and let rest for a couple of minutes.
- Serve over rice and with a tomato salad, or over noodles and a tossed green salad.
- To finish the successful meal, enjoy an ice sorbet and a glass of champagne.