Recipe by -Sylvie-
I adopted this recipe from Recipezaar. I am German and usually like that kind of German Apple Cake, so I thought I'd give this recipe a home. I have not yet made it to see if it needs updating, but will try some time soon. If you make this before me please let me know what you think!
Top Review by Mimpard
Such an unusual recipe, I had to try it and was delighted with the results. The flavors of apple, rum and custard blended perfectly. I would rate it as a 5 star recipe for the final result, but it's a 3 star recipe for the problems I had with making it. The crust dough turned out very similar to pie crust, so I rolled it with a rolling pin and used a deep dish pie plate. There was no problem with the sliced apples or with mixing the custard. I had to bake it in a 350 degree oven for 2 hours before it was set. It was delicious and I'm sure I'll make it again. Thanks for the recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour, Unbleached, Unsifted
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon, rind of, Grated
- 2⁄3 cup butter or 2⁄3 cup margarine
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, Melted
- 4 cups apples, Tart, Sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup raisins (Soak raisins in 1/4 cup rum for 1/2 hour before using.)
- 1⁄4 cup rum
- 3 large eggs, Beaten
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
Directions See How It's Made
- To make crust, mix flour, sugar, and lemon rind.
- Cut in butter or margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add egg yolk and 1 T of milk; mix gently to form a dough.
- Pat into bottom of a 10-inch Springform pan that has sides only greased.
- Press dough up sides of pan for 1 inch.
- Toss together bread crumbs and melted butter.
- Spread evenly over pastry crust.
- Toss apple slices, lemon juice, and 1/4 c of sugar.
- Spread apples over crumbs.
- Drain raisins, reserving rum, and sprinkle raisins over apples.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F. oven for 15 minutes.
- Beat eggs and sugar until thick and lemon-colored.
- Stir in milk and reserved rum.
- Pour custard over apples and bake for 45 to 60 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- until custard is set.
- Cool completely before serving.
- Do NOT remove springform pan until cool.