Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I adapted this recipe from the Ragu web site. The original recipe called for 2 pounds of beef and 1 can of beans.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (26 ounce) jar pasta sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- grated cheddar cheese (to garnish)
- Brown meat, onion, and garlic in a large skillet.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- If desired, sprinkle with grated cheese before serving.
I used a # of the OAMC Master HB Mix and threw, a can of kidney beans, a can of chili beans, and a can of rotel, and left out the oregano. A nice quick fix.
Who knew you could whip up a quick and delicious chili with a jar of Ragu or other pasta sauce? I love the addition of the extra beans--1 pound of meat was plenty. This is a great recipe when you're hungry for lunch or dinner, and you want something right away. Made for P-A-R-T-Y 2009. Thanks Janem!
Extremely easy route to a decent offering of chili. I did not have any garlic and I thought the end product needed a little more 'heat' but my family loved it. Serve this with chopped cilantro and sour cream over rice.