Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
this is one of our favorite meat sauces although it is a bit of work. this works well with campanelle or penne to catch the sauce
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, scraped and finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 lb ground veal
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 lb pancetta, minced
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- salt and pepper
- in a large heavy pot heat oil and butter.
- add onions, celery, carrots, garlic and cook until vegetables are translucent.
- add the meats and stir, cooking until no longer pink 10-15 minutes.
- drain excess fat from pan and return to heat.
- add milk and cook until almost dry, about 10 minutes.
- add tomatoes and herbs and simmer about 15 minutes.
- add wine and broth, bring to a boil.
- lower to simmer, and cook partially covered for 2 1/2 hrs, stirring every 30 minutes.
- season with salt and pepper to taste.
A very good and authentic bolognese. It is amazing how many bolognese recipes are out there without the milk. That is not bolognese....that is meat sauce. This has the milk and it makes such a difference! I added a pinch of sugar to cut the acidity of the wine and the tomato. I also added a 14oz can of petite diced tomatoes, for a little chunkiness. The pancetta makes the dish.
This is a great recipe. We also believe that bolognese needs dairy and are glad that we included this. The one addition we made was to add about a half cup of parmesan during the last 30 minutes of simmering. Based upon the other reviews, we increased the pancetta and used a little bit of extra basil from the garden. I'd love to tell you how this held up in the freezer, but it doesn't look like it'll make it there. Thanks, Chia.
Followed the recipe exactly and it was fabulous...I did let it simmer on the stove for 4 hours slowly and it was perfect...