3 hrs 15 mins
This is a traditional ragu bolognese sauce. Garlic and herbs aren't traditionally used and only a little tomato paste or a couple of tomatoes are usually added. Enjoy
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 60 g bacon or 60 g pancetta, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 500 g veal mince
- 500 g beef mince
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 chicken liver, finely chopped (optional)
- 500 g spaghetti or 500 g tagliatelle pasta noodles, to serve
- parmesan cheese, to serve
- 1Melt butter in a large heavy based saucepan.
- 2Add bacon, onion, carrot and celery.
- 3Cook over low heat until vegetables are soft.
- 4Raise the heat and add the mince.
- 5Cook until brown.
- 6Add tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- 7Add wine and simmer for 1 minute.
- 8Add bay leaf and half the stock.
- 9When stock has been absorbed add remaining stock and milk.
- 10Season well.
- 11Simmer covered for 2 1/2- 3 hours.
- 12If using liver stir in now and simmer another couple of minutes.
- 13Toss through spahetti and serve with parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top Veal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ragu Alla Bolognese
Serving Size: 1 (354 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 624.8
- Calories from Fat 221
- Total Fat 24.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 109.7 mg
- Sodium 454.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 34.6 g