3 hrs 5 mins
2 hrs 45 mins
Member #610488's Note:
Prepare this stew up to three days ahead, refrigerate, and reheat to serve. You can also freeze it for up to a month.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 lbs boneless pork shoulder, trimmed and cut into 2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups shiraz wine or 3 cups red wine
- 1 (14 ounce) can fat free low-sodium beef broth
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 1/2 cups tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and cut in strips
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 red bell peppers, cut in thin strips
- 4 cups cooked rigatoni pasta (made at time of serving)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Mix 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper then sprinkle evenly over pork. Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in a large Dutch oven over high heat. Add half of pork to pan; sauté 4 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove pork from pan and keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 tablespoon canola oil and pork.
- 3Reduce heat to medium. Add flour to pan sautéing 1 minute or until flour browns, stirring constantly. Add 2 cups wine to pan; bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Return pork to pan. Stir in broth and bring to a boil.
- 4Cover and bake at 350F for 1 1/2 hours or until pork crushes easily between your finger and thumb, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly. Remove pork from broth mixture using a slotted spoon.
- 5Bring broth mixture to a boil over high heat; cook until reduced to 1 1/2 cups (about 15 minutes). Return pork to broth mixture, and cook for 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- 6Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add chopped onion to pan and sauté 5 minutes or until starting to brown, stirring frequently. Stir in garlic, and sauté 1 minute.
- 7Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, tomatoes, parsley sprigs, thyme sprigs, and bay leaf; bring to a simmer. Cook 30 minutes or until the mixture is thick, stirring occasionally.
- 8Heat remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add bell peppers to pan and sauté 10 minutes or until wilted, stirring frequently. Increase heat to high. Add remaining 1 cup wine, and bring to a boil. Cook until reduced by half (about 7 minutes). Add tomato mixture to bell pepper mixture.
- 9Reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally. Discard parsley, thyme, and bay leaf. Stir sauce into pork mixture, and simmer an additional 10 minutes so flavors blend. Taste and adjust seasoning, if desired. Serve over hot pasta.
Nutritional Facts for Ragout Pebronata
Serving Size: 1 (354 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 516.8
- Calories from Fat 292
- Total Fat 32.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 80.5 mg
- Sodium 303.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 24.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fat free low-sodium beef broth