Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
In '1,000 Vegetarian Recipes' by Carol Gelles
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 12 small white onions, peeled
- 2 cups oyster mushrooms
- 2 cups white mushrooms
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups carrots, chunks (1-inch pieces)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon madeira wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- In a 3-quart saucepan melt the butter with the oil over med-high heat.
- Add the onions; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned in spots, about 4 minutes.
- While the onions are browning, toss all the mushrooms in the flour until lightly coated.
- Add to the saucepan; cook, stirring until mushrooms are softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the broth, carrots, parsley, brandy, sherry, Madeira, sugar, rosemary, and thyme.
- Bring to a boil.
- Decrease heat and simmer, uncovered, 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Stir in salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over polenta.