Epi Curious's Note:
This ragout can be served on polenta or as a topping for pasta or a baked potato. From "The Occasional Vegetarian" by Karen Lee
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons dried porcini mushrooms
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped shallot (4 to 6 shallots)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 1/4 cups assorted fresh mushrooms (such as shiitake mushrooms, portobello, cremini, and button, cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 cup diced plum tomato
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce (preferably homemade)
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon dried porcini mushrooms (optional)
- 1Place the porcini mushrooms in a bowl and cover with cold water. Soak until soft, about 30 minutes. Remove the mushrooms from the water, squeezing the water back into the bowl. Pour the liquid through a fine sieve and reserve. Coarsely chop the mushrooms and set aside.
- 2In a medium skillet, saute the shallots in olive oil until they soften, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until light brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the fresh and reconstituted mushrooms and toss well.
- 3Add the salt, pepper, thyme, tomatoes, tomato sauce, wine, porcini soaking water, and porcini powder (if using). Bring to a simmer over high heat. Turn heat to low, cover, and simmer until the mushrooms are cooked, 10 to 15 minutes. If the mushrooms are cooked through but the sauce is too thin, uncover and simmer for a few minutes until the sauce has thickened. Remove the thyme. Serve hot.
- 4The ragout can be prepared 1 day ahead and refrigerated. Reheat gently before serving.
- 5For porcini powder: grind the small bits and pieces of dried porcini mushrooms at the bottom of the package in a clean coffee mill. Keeps for 1 year in a glass jar at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ragout of Wild Mushrooms
Serving Size: 1 (204 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 100.5
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 671.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 3.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried porcini mushrooms
fresh thyme sprigs