Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 1⁄2 lb asparagus, rinsed,trimmed
- 4 -5 young green shallots or 8 green onions
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 8 small fingerling carrots
- 3⁄4 lb small new potato, cut in halves
- 2 -3 small young turnips, cut in halves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 lb fava beans, shelled
- 3⁄4 lb young peas, shelled
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leave
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced of fresh mint
- Cut the asparagus diagonally into 2-inch lengths.
- Cut the shallots or onion greens into 2-inch lengths, including all but the last inch or so of green tops.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the butter in a heavy-bottom saucepan.
- When it has melted, add the carrots and potatoes.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and cook 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the turnips, salt, pepper and sugar; cover and cook for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add the shallots, cover, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the fava beans and peas, adding more butter if needed.
- Cover, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
- By now, the vegetables should be almost tender.
- Uncover the pan and increase the heat to medium.
- Add the wine, stirring and scraping up any bits clinging to the bottom.
- Stir in the herbs, the asparagus and any remaining butter.
- Cover, reduce heat, and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until the asparagus is just tender.